Facts Surrounding Hair Loss
- The most common cause of hair loss is hereditary hair loss, also known as androgenetic alopecia.
- This causes the hair follicles to change and shrink over time which leads to the thinning of hair.
- Genetic and hormonal factors cause cells that control hair regeneration to be lost.
- The genes that determine your susceptibility to hair loss can come from your mother’s side of the family as well as your father’s .
- You are more likely to have hair loss if both of your parents suffer from it.
- Other factors can result in baldness such as:
- Certain medications (not just chemotherapy drugs)
- Severe physical stress such as an operation or severe psychological stress, for example, a death of a loved one